Orthodox Clergymen from Lăpuş, present on 1 December 1918 in Alba Iulia
At the Great National Assembly in Alba Iulia, held on 1 December 1918, the Orthodox clergymen of Lăpuș was represented by two priests. Andrei Ludu, the archpriest of Cetatea de Piatră (Stone Fortress) and later of Hunedoara, went to Alba Iulia as an ex officio delegate, but also as a deputy from the local Department of Astra, being its president. As a sign of the consideration he enjoys from the Lăpuș people, in 1919 he was elected a deputy in the First Parliament of Great Romania. The second priest was the Nicolae Gherman of Rohia. If Andrei Ludu was “in transit” through Lapus, where he came in 1912 and from where he would leave in 1920, Nicholas Gherman instead was originally from here. Even his departure to the theological studies in Sibiu took place because of the request of his Rohia fellow villagers. After voting in Alba Iulia for the Union with Romania, he kept himself busy between 1923 and 1926 with the construction of the church and the first core of buildings in the “Saint Ana” monastery in Rohia. On December 5, 1918, there was a real slaughter in Lăpuş perpetrated by a band of 60 Hungarian soldiers against the Romanians gathered in the courtyard of the Greek-Catholic confessional school to learn about the unfolding of the events in Alba Iulia. There were over 20 dead and nearly 100 injured. The moment was the blood sacrifice of the Lăpuș people for the completion of our national unity.